Is all Vitamin C skincare the same?
Vitamin C has long been hailed as a hero ingredient in skincare.
The human body cannot synthesise Vitamin C and is dependent on Oral intake, Supplementation and topical application to meet its requirements.
Independent scientific research distinguished the difference between natural vitamin C and ascorbic acid, the research compared vitamin C derived from C3 type plants such as kakadu plum to ascorbic acid derived from C4 type plants such as maize and sugar cane. The test concluded that kakadu plum derived vitamin C was more efficient than the L ascorbic acid. The reasoning was that the different carbon molecules in these two compounds (C3 and C4), lead to different structures which resulted in different effects on the skin.
Cosmedical grade Kakadu plum is the Vitamin C ingredient you will find throughout the Juvenate range, and here are the reasons we chose it:
- A fruit with the highest recorded levels of natural Vitamin C content, measuring up to 7000 mg/100g DW, which is 100 times the Vitamin C content in oranges
- Potent source of not just Vitamin C, but also other natural nutrients, polyphenols, flavonoids, minerals and fibres that combine to work in synergy to increase stability, bioavailability and efficacy.
- Kakadu plum has evolved to survive an unforgiving outback environment so it’s developed a natural resistance to the harsh effects of the sun.
- Other potent antioxidants found in Kakadu Plum include Gallic Acid and Ellagic Acid.
- Both Ellagic Acid and Vitamin C are documented in scientific literature as effective for treating hyperpigmentation disorders. When comparing the effectiveness of gel formulations containing arbutin, synthetic Ellagic Acid, and plant extracts that contain Ellagic Acid, on patients with melasma. The findings indicated a significant decrease in the level of melanin in all patients who used the plant extract containing Ellagic Acid. The researchers concluded Ellagic Acid could be an effective alternative for the treatment of melasma.
- The gallic acid and ellagic acid both also contain antibacterial properties that calm irritated skin and helps recovery of skin and reduces redness caused by sensitivity, overexposure to the sun or inflammatory skin disorders.
- Kakadu Plum displays superior antioxidant properties, containing both water -and oil-soluble antioxidants, the synergistic action of these multiple natural antioxidants allows for enhanced efficacy, bioavailability and reduced oxidation risk.
Naturally, vitamin C stimulates the growth of collagen in the skin to increase suppleness, reduce fine lines and wrinkles, plump the skin under the eye to reduce dark circles and improve skin elasticity contributing to a more youthful glow, while strengthening the skin’s outer barrier making it an ideal ingredient in the treatment of acne or inflammatory skin disorders.
You will find Cosmedical grade Kakadu plum in Uplift eye and lip serum, Rejuvenate, Renew, ReAlign Advanced and Reshield SPF 20, both tinted and untinted versions, and in professional backbar, you can find the benefits of cosmedical grade Kakadu Plum in both the VitAPeel Forte and UpLift Eye and Lip Forte Concentrate.